Wednesday 5 June 2013

It's late, again, I'm not that sorry

So yeah, day 2/3 on the blog with the WWLOH TAKEOVER.  Today has been a fun day.  Stuart and I (Wull) have been in rehearsals with our good friend Algernon Doll, who is one of my favourite songwriters and people.  He did all of our press shots which we'll posting on this page throughout the week and he is also a part of the Common Records family.

We'll be continuing our '5 Songs' feature today, as people seemed to like it, and it's kind of what we planned for anyway.  So let's start with the newest member of the WWLOH family, Alice, who joined the band last year and then I'll probably rattle on about Ewan a little bit more, while I try and pack for goNORTH tomorrow.  Anyone else coming?

Alice Sinclair (Vocals/Keys/Toy Things)


1. Song that got you into music? - 'The Bends' by Radiohead.  A friend gave me a tape of 'The Bends' at high school, I must have been about 15, I remember listening to it at for the first time and thinking, 'what the hell is THIS?! This is brilliant!'  Radiohead were the first band I was obsessive about, saving my pocket money to buy their music.
2. Song that made you want to write? - 'Company Calls' – Death Cab for Cutie.  I don't do much writing as I am not very good at it!  However, 'Company Calls' was the first song that made me want to be in a band.  It is a great, catchy, awkward pop song, there are great hooks, shouty parts and it made me want to make music that people could dance to.
3. Song that changed your musical direction? - 'Paint Nothing' – Idlewild.  This was the first Idlewild song I ever heard and they were the first band I ever saw live.  They opened up a whole set of new music for me and turned me on to bands like Fugazi, Black Flag, Pixies, Husker Du, Minutemen and Q and Not U.
4. First song you ever learned? - I was never interested in learning to play songs by bands I liked, this might explain why I was in my 20's before I joined a band.  The first song I learned to play properly and in full was when I joined Incrediboy & The Forget Me Nots, and it was 'The Bridge'.
5. Song that makes you happy to be alive? - 'Dancing in the Dark' – Bruce Springsteen.  This song never, ever fails to make me smile and want to dance and punch the air with joy and sing!  I love it!

So Algernon Doll is a great guy.  We first met in November when I booked him to play a show in November or something along those lines after hearing his debut album Camomile and loving it.  I was just amazed by his solo performance.  At the end of his set I said casually, "if you ever need a bass player..." and it turns out he did.  I got to hear his second album Citalo-Pop which I personally think is outstanding.  It's full of amazing 90's dynamics with the same heart felt and honest lyrics as his first album but with the boot in the baws that a full band brings together produced by Tom Mitchell.  The first ever full band performance of Algernon Doll will be at goNORTH at Blackfriars on Thursday 6th at 9pm with Black International on just before us, who I love.  After that we'll be playing in Dundee at Non Zero's on June 11th, Edinburgh at Pivo solo, with WWLOH solo support and then on the 13th at the 13th Note in Glasgow will be his official album launch party with a full band WWLOH support slot and our good friends Lovers Turn To Monsters and Now Wakes The Sea.  'Cause there ain't no party like a Common Records party!

Ewan Grant a.k.a. Algernon Doll


1. Song that got you into music? - Either 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' or going back further 'Oh Boy' by Buddy Holly

2.Song that made you want to write? - Probably something off of Bleach like 'Blew'.

3. Song that changed your musical direction? - 'This Time I Think I've Gone Too Far' - Allergo or 'Metempsicosi Del Fine Ultimo' - La Quiete.

4. First song you ever learned? - 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' or 'Hard Days Night'.

5. Song that makes you happy to be alive? - Haha!  Ummm, 'La Finé Non E La Finé - La Quiete. 

And so sees another day of blogging done.  We'll maybe talk about Kyle Wood tomorrow as I'll be watching Kyle get drunk at goNORTH tomorrow.  It will be fun.  I need sleep.  Night Everyone.

WWLOH x

No comments:

Post a Comment